Will and Guy are building a collection of amusing names for bars, drinking houses, pubs, boozers, call them what you will. Our only criterion is a pub sign that raises a smile.
Many of the old tavern names are in danger of disappearing as large conglomerations buy up pubs and change their names to "modern" equivalents. Throughout Britain "Harvester" pubs, "Slug and Lettuce" and "Beefeater" pubs can be found, owned by these big groups.
Will and Guy bemoan the loss of the heritage connected with the old names. Many of these inns can still be found when travelling around Britain and Ireland.
Will and Guy have started a collection of funny pub signs to bring a smile to your face. Here is a list of the best pub names that we have discovered.
- The Idle Cook - Idle, Bradford, Yorkshire
- Bucket of Blood - Phillack, Cornwall
- *The Fawcett Inn - Portsmouth, Hampshire
- Moderation Inn - Reading, Berkshire
- *The Pub with No Name - Priors Dean, Hampshire [known by locals as The White Horse Inn]
- The Vat and Fiddle - Nottingham
- The Happy Medium - Chichester, West Sussex
- The Hung Drawn And Quartered, London
- *Hole in the Wall - Southsea, Hampshire; *Caernarvon, north Wales; Little Wilbraham, Cambridgeshire; Waterloo, London; Lowside, Bowness Windermere, Cumbria [Hole Int Wall]; and several other venues.
- Bank Tavern, Keswick, Cumbria
- The Bleeding Wolf, Hale, Altrincham, Cheshire
- Blooming Fuchsia, Ipswich, Suffolk
- The Cow and Snuffers, Llandaff, Cardiff, Wales
- Drunken Duck, Hawkshead, Cumbria
- Mad Dog, Odell, Bedfordshire
- The Quiet Woman - York [The sign being a woman carrying her own severed head]
- Nobody Inn - Doddiscombsleigh, Devon
- One that almost got away: The Cemetery in Rochdale, Lancashire.
- The Tap Shop, Mid Calder, West Lothian, Scotland.
* These pubs have been visited by Will.
We think these are good pub names, if Will and Guy were to open a new hostelry, this would be our short list of tavern names:
- Devil's Punchbowl
- The Elusive Camel
- The Hung Drawn And Quartered
- The Fawcett Inn
- Dirty Nelly's
- The Hairy Lemon
- The Three-Legged Mare [Known locally as The Wonky Donkey]
- The Hog In The Pound
- Pig and Whistle
- The Roaring Donkey
- Spread Eagle
- Dirty Dick's
- Filthy Mc Nasty's
More Funny Names of Public Houses
We are absolutely sure there are other, perhaps funnier pub names, and we would appreciate a photo or an e-mail so we can add to the collection.
For example, Lisa reports there was a 'The Goat & Tricycle' in Bournemouth.
Another interesting project would to go inside and research funny names for individual bars.
Message for the wife: Just off for my group therapy!
Crèche for Husbands
A Very Nice Cat!
Guy thinks that it should be called 'The Pits'. Will thinks it must have a peculiar clientele.